3 lbs. Whole Chicken
1 medium size Onion
2 stalks Celery
1 tblsp Salt
1/4tsp Black Pepper
3 large peeled and sliced Carrots
1 tsp Celery Salt
For the Dough:
½ cup Margarine
4 cups Flour
1 tblsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
1½ cup Buttermilk
How to make chicken dumplings recipe:
- Take a pot and add chicken, onion, celery, salt and celery salt in it.
- Add enough water to cover the chicken.
- Simmer for 1 – 2 hours or till the chicken gets tender.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and carrots and adjust the seasoning.
- Simmer the carrots till tender.
- For the dumpling dough, add all the dry ingredients in a blender and add margarine. Blend them till the mixture is crumbly.
- Now add the buttermilk and mix for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the blender.
- Now roll out the dough to a quarter inch thickness with the help of the flour. Cut out 1â€ X 1 ½â€ squares.
- Now add these dumplings to the chicken broth and stir occasionally.
- Simmer the broth for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile remove the bones form the chicken and cut it into chunks.
- Add all the chunks to the broth and bring it to a boil.
- Serve hot.